Friday, October 10, 2008

goodbye

So at 1 year and 3 weeks old my hard drive crashed and died. Cause of death was unable to be determined by autopsy done by my local Mac store (now I know for sure it's dead). With it, a year of financial tracking, budgeting, calendar, photos, videos, music and lots of other stuff are lost and gone. It's memory lives on through a few photos and videos on my blog and Google photos/Picasa.
I'm pretty bummed, but moving on. Isn't a mac not supposed to have those kind of problems you ask. I asked too and apparently "a hard drive can last 5 minutes or 15 years," the mac guy informed me and macs are not immune to this kind of failure. So as I have now learned, back up early and often. I always intended to back up my computer but didn't really know how so I never got around to it. Luckily, I use web based email so that is all saved online. I lost a lot of photos, but recently I made an effort to upload some of my favorites from the past 2 years to Google photo/Picasca to prepare to have them printed--Thankgoodness!! They may not be saved in the highest quality format but they are not completely lost and for that I am grateful. But I did lose all the videos I took on my digital camera except the ones uploaded her on my blog. I kept a pretty good calendar on my computer, so if we made plans together you might want to remind me of them, because my computer was my brain, apparently. So learn from my mistake. Please. Buy the bigger external hard drive to back up easily (I just got 500GB one for only $140--it feels like a good deal if only I'd bought it sooner!) and OFTEN. I was 3 weeks past my warranty so I have to pay for the new internal hard drive & repair labor myself -- probably about the same price that the extended warranty would cost, but that would not have saved all my precious data. So now I resolve to learn how to back up my hard drive and do it once a week. (who says you have to wait for New Year's to make a resolution?)
I already have a new hard drive and the act of rebuilding all my files, music, data begins.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my! I wouldn't know what I'd do if I lost all my pictures and videos. I think I would have a breakdown, lol. I have all my videos on Youtube, and all my pictures (and the videos) are still on the memory sticks. I just can't bare to erase them; I just buy a new memory stick.

Emma said...

That's awful. I am so sorry. At least you have your blog!, We should back up our computer again. it's been a few months.

Suzanne said...

Bummer! I just know that is going to happen to me very soon and I am totally not prepared. I haven't been blogging lately. So it was fun to look through all your posts and see cute pic. of your cute family. How have you been?