Monday, February 11, 2008

Sweethearts

Isn't she sweet?!
So it's been one of those days. It was rough in mommy-ville. In trying to be a good mom your patience gets severely tried. When strangers in the grocery store tell you that you should really keep an eye on your child who has ran off for the 3rd time, didn't they see you running, calling, chasing her? Two kids at the grocery store is a BAD idea. (FYI: the Fred Meyer in Lake City does NOT have a PlayLand for toddlers--now I remember why the drive out to Ballard Fred Meyer's is really worth it). Riley definitely has her ups and downs and I'm trying hard not to give into the fits and stick to my guns. "No tv. no movies. no dessert until you eat 5 bites of your hot dog. do you need another time-out?" Don't I sound mean? I'm just hoping she doesn't throw up or get sick. It seems like whenever I'm tough when she's being naughty it turns out that she's sick, but now she's old enough to say I don't feel good. She also smart enough to ask for things like food right before bedtime to stall. Anyways, I'm exhausted and had to blog about my hard day to lift my spirits.
I really thought that after Riley's nap she would wake up as her happy, fairly obedient self. So we tried going out to eat and planned a really fun FHE activity. (For once we planned something more than 5 minutes before hand or forgetting altogether). We still struggled and finally got a little cooperation so we could have a fun time decorating our Valentine's house (yes, it is a gingerbread house that we didn't get to use for X-mas--thanks for the suggestion, Bri).At the end of the day I am blessed with 2 wonderful girls!! I really can't complain. What I feel is so tough or when Riley is really being naughty are only the brief moments in the whole scheme of things--she really is a very good girl (I kept trying to remind her of that today but she kept forgetting). I love hearing the "I love you too!" at night and helping Riley say her prayers. It is so fun to see my two daughters together making each other smile and laugh and know they love each other. Riley even loves Emma when she is stinky; tells her, "it's OK, baby Emma, don't cry, calm down," when she is crying and brings the pacifier or shakes the rattle to make her happy; Riley even reads her stories.

I knew if I posted about my little sweethearts I could go to bed feeling better about life and I do.

6 comments:

Erka said...

Two year olds can most certainly be challenging (I am hoping mine will skip that age, yeah right!), but as you yourself said they are also the sweetest ever! They say and do the cutest things too! I see that at work everytime too.
I loved the video of Riley reading the "Are you my mother" book! There you go, a two year old telling a story, how cool is that!
The valentine house was a great idea. What a good FHE activity!

Karen said...

"My mother told me, there would be days like this"--

Keep in mind those days are few-- You are doing a remarkable job with Michael raising your daughters.

Riley is full of life--she makes me smile--being two is such a fun stage--you will be soooo prepared when Emma turns two!!!

Jamie said...

Jessica, your girls are absolutely darling! But I can definitely vouch for those bad days. It's amazing how powerful whining can be on my nerves-it drives me nuts, and lately Chase is the king of whining. But on the flip side he is absolutely adorable and I love him to pieces! I am just hoping that they will soon outgrow this tantrum stage...

Shauna said...

Riley is so precious, she's such a good big sister! Hope your week went better than your day!

Gretch said...

The picture at the top of this post is the one I was talking about the other day...I think Emma looks like a tiger holding up her claws grinning. Very cute.

jules said...

It's so tough to be a mom and especially to feel like you are doing a decent job. My first to were two years apart and that first year was rough!! I love you gingerbread house - it's so artistic!! Hang in there. It gets better!