Monday, March 10, 2008

silence

Can it be true? Both girls napping at the same time!?! As I sit in my living room soaking up a little sunshine and silence I feel the baby blues lift and it seems as if maybe I can do this mother-of-two thing after all, if we can get this napping at the same time down to a science. We've been battling out the different sleep methods for Emma: Happiest Baby... or Baby Wise or Feber-ize? How to know which is right for this child? All we know for sure is that she really likes being swaddled despite being a little too old for it. She just doesn't know how to put herself to sleep . . .yet.
But that is just nap time-- let's talk about night time. Riley has been waking up earlier and earlier in the mornings. We recently switched the girls' bedrooms around and re-installed the black out curtains in Riley's bedroom---they got taken down when our housing management replaced the ugly old curtains with blinds. I don't know why I thought the blinds alone would keep her room dark enough. Maybe because her early rising came on so gradually like the slowly warming to boiling water effect on the frog that stays in the pot, I didn't realize it and then became so sleep deprived I lost all skills of reasoning to fix the problem. And, yes, I am talking about my toddler Riley keeping me from my much needed zzz's. But between staying up a little late with Emma and up EARLY with Riley we were tired. But on Saturday the blackout curtains went up and the white-noise-like fan was turned on and this mom and dad finally slept in until 8am Sunday morning! It was amazing. I was even able shower and get ready this morning before she even woke up. Life is coming back into focus as we work on the sleeping-in napping-at-the-same-time magic combo.
Sorry to whine--I know many others have a pretty hard time too! Sleep suggestions are welcome.

3 comments:

Reighlyn said...

Napping at the same time is a little slice of HEAVEN! I actually cried the day my older one decided he was not going to nap anymore! He is only 3 3/4 years old so he occasionally still does nap when I make him, but he usually sleeps better at night when he doesn't. Unfortunately that meant no "me" time for the middle of the day. Luckily he now as a computer game time on the computer that is carefully restricted on his own account so he can only access what I want him to and I get to read while he has an hour of independence and learning on his own. I am in the same room and can help him if he really gets stuck, but generally the policy is that he has to figure it out on his own, it is Mommy's reading time. This has helped alot, but only switching to showering at night helped with my own maintenance. Good luck! And pray for them to get tired at the same time, it helps.
Your Friend Always,
Reighlyn

Karen said...

Sleep and children don't always go together--and just when you think you have them figured out, another one comes along who is completely different!!!

But it IS just a "season" and soon you will be wishing that they would get up before noon --when they are teenagers--another age when their sleep schedule doesn't match yours.

so as you see-- sleep is always an issue--
moms learn to take 20 minute "cat naps"--that's how I survived and I am doing it still!!!

don't worry--you are not whining!!

Jamie said...

Wow, I am tired just reading about the sleep issues. I am SO sorry. I don't do very well without sleep. I sure hope things will come together.