Thursday, May 27, 2010

the details

the short version:
we were induced Saturday night, May 8th, by 7:40am on Mother's Day, Lucy was here.

the long version of the eviction, I mean the induction, of labor:
Since I was DONE with being pregnant I begged my doctor to schedule an induction and we agreed on Sunday, May 9th. (We had to be NOT having a baby on Wednesday so Mike could take an essential test --if he missed that he'd be unable to take his clinical boards 2 weeks later). I called labor and delivery the day before to make sure I was still on the list and how it would work, they said it was pretty slow and asked if I wanted to come in earlier if they we slow. I said OF COURSE! So Saturday night at 8pm I we arrived at the hospital and by 10pm we were underway with a foley bulb and by midnight I was dilated enough for pitocin. Around 5 am my water broke, so we walked around for about 45 minutes and by then I was in plenty of pain and ready of the epidural. This part did not go smoothly. They came in immediately, but it took another 45 minutes of poking my spine during very painful contractions coming every 1-2 minutes. It was very bloody, apparently (Mike got pretty queasy), but when they finally got it, it worked and I was out of pain, see how relieved I looked?
ahh. now that's better. so glad it worked.
It turns out I was 9 cm dilated right after the epidural finally got in and so it was almost time to push! I was excited to get her into this world and meet her.
A little bit of pushing and she was here! straight into my arms.
proof of weight:
9 lbs 6 oz

all wiped off
you can see her face is a little bruised from her quick descent into the world, but they faded pretty fast. We are in love with this beautiful child and so grateful our induction, labor and delivery went so smoothly. Heathly baby and mom recovering well--we were thrilled!

No comments: