Saturday, December 26, 2009

in the days before christmas

all through grandma's house,
more cookies were baking,
Emma even helped out.

Carols were sung,
treats delivered with care
in the hopes that more aunts and uncles soon would be there.

the children got nestled, all ready for bed
for we had already dressed up, with the silly hats on our heads
but after being animals & angels and all dress up in our caps
it was hard to settle down from dancing for our long winter's nap

but an hour after bedtime the doorbell rang with a clatter
we stopped setting up dollhouses to see what was the matter

But what to our wondering eyes should appear,
But St. Nick & his wife, all dressed in their gear.

The camera was enchanted, lively & quick
and even caught on film the cookie-eating St. Nick.
Then the stage was all set for the magical show,
all we missed Christmas morning was a covering of snow.
but that didn't matter as children discovered their loot
they were full of joy & surprise from head to foot

the bundle of toys finally all came upwrapped
we even all jumped in the pile, uncle Steven is on his back.

But just when the presents we thought reached the end
we went to the other grandparents' to do it again.


Their eyes--how they twinkled, their dimples how merry!
girls in matching outfits are as cute as a cherry.

And now as the holidays have flown out of sight,
I wish you all a happy new year and to all a good-night.

4 comments:

NaDell said...

Great poem. Creative and concise. I should be that way more.
Looks like a wonderful holiday.

Karen said...

ok, you win the cleverest Christmas blog!!
It truly was a magical Christmas!!

Erka said...

Such a cute post! I like it! I can tell it was a magic Christmas!

Briaan said...

Now that was creative! five stars! Encore! Now all I wish is that I had some more.