Monday, September 27, 2010

nuclear

ever wonder what a plutonium reactor looks like up close?
can you believe they did all the calculations to build this with only slide rules?
I love this picture. Thanks Erica or Nathan for taking it.



This summer we did something so cool in our hometown.
We went on a tour of the B-reactor at the Hanford nuclear site. It was part of the Manhattan project and the first reactor of its kind and produced plutonium back in its day. I learned a lot.
We were lucky enough to have Mike's grandma with us. She was almost a celebrity on the tour. Her family owned a farm in White Bluffs and was relocated for the Manhattan Project. Later she worked at Hanford, so it was cool to be there with her.
We all goofed off in the control room.


If you ever have a chance to do the B-reactor tour, I highly recommend it. They only do it on certain days in certain seasons, but it is free and the tours fill up fast, like less than a day.

2 comments:

Gretch said...

Glad you got to go out there. I went one summer when I worked out there. It was really cool.

Karen said...

I haven't seen these photos--wow they are great!! Glad you could take Grandma Rhonda--wish we could have been there too--
maybe next year!